Sunday 15 July 2012

Self-Publishing is Addictive

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008KQ4G42
Now that my latest book is in the Amazon Kindle Store, at the magnificent sum of $4.99, I've got the self-publishing bug. I'm going to put my earliest books up there too. They say that the more titles you have available, the better they sell, so we'll see. And they also say you should spend a quarter of your writing time promoting sales. I can see what they mean - it's incredibly time consuming not only finding out what you should be doing, then actually doing it - and doing it again and again.
Meanwhile, "In Her Mothers' Shoes" has  had one sale.
My next step is to follow all the online advice I can and learn how to promote it. I've never been one of those authors who expected to earn a living from writing, and hey, 70% of $4.99 will buy me a trim flat white!
I'm still a greenhorn at this self-publishing lark, but already it's been a fascinating journey and I'm only at the beginning of it - typically. Not for me the "early adopter" tag, embracing the latest technology as soon as it's in Dick Smith's. I leave that to the boys in our household. Then they can read the manual or practice online, work out how to do stuff, and show me in words of one syllable.
Meanwhile I'm wrestling with the worldwide rights which seem to have struck a glitch - it's available for purchase everywhere except Asia. How did that happen? I'll get back to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment